Alissa is the author of Beneath Outback Skies and what Love Sounds Like. Welcome and thanks for treading the boards with us today!
Thanks so much for having meJ
1. Are you inspired most by places, people or experiences and how do these work their way into your writing?
Inspiration for my stories surrounds me, whether it is the brown snake stealing water from the dog bowl, the sun setting over the cattle yards or the resilience of local communities in times of drought or flood. So a combination of people, places and experiences all trigger story scenes and plot ideas.
2. Please share one of your favourite moments of inspiration with us.
Perhaps a not so favourite, but nonetheless inspiring experience was the January bush fire we had in our front paddock. With two water-bomber helicopters over head and twelve fire trucks on the ground it was a spectacle of colour, scents and sound.
3. How did you come up with the idea of Beneath Outback Skies?
The title Beneath Outback Skies stems from the years I lived overseas. I always missed the brilliant blue skies that we are lucky enough to have here.
4. How do you come up with your characters’ names?
I form mental pictures of my characters and then a name will attach itself to them like a sticky note. Then just have to check don’t end up with names that sounds similar, begin with same letter or are connected to real people. I once thought Verity Firth was a perfect fictitious name until realised there is a politician called that very name!
That could be very interesting if she was a romance reader too! lol
5. Who would you cast for a movie/TV series as your main characters if given the chance?
They would be Aussie actors/actresses (of courseJ) so Alex O’Loughlin (when he is smiling) and Isla Fisher (with a slight hair-colour change)
6. If you could pick a soundtrack to match your main character’s life, what would it be?
For the heroine Paige Quinn it would be Taylor Swift’s ‘I knew you were trouble’. Paige knew as soon as Tait walked into Banora Downs this is exactly what he’d be.
7. What is your favourite holiday?
LOVE holidays – so am not fussy – anywhere is perfect – it takes me all of two seconds to pack. And then another two days to pack for the rest of the familyJ
8. What is your favourite book of all time that you can reread a hundred times, and it still feels like the first time?
The iconic Pride and Prejudice. Then after I’ve read it, yet again, have to put on the BBC series.
9. What do you need to set the mood for you to write?
Music – depending on what scene am writing it will vary from the soundtrack to Persuasion (Rupert Penry-Jones version) to Train’s 50 Ways to Say Goodbye.
10. If there is one genre that you have not written in yet, but would love to try writing a book in that specific genre, what would it be?
Have attempted to write western historical so that is a genre would love to focus on more and finish an actual book.
11. What are you working on now?
Am currently working on a small town series based in a bush town that holds an annual Elvis festival. I also have another full length rural novel underway.
12. Please share your favourite cocktail recipe or celebration photo.
When Escape Publishing launched last year they had a fabulous event held at the ECQ Bar in Sydney. The four launch authors had signature cocktails designed to represent their books. Ainslie Patton’s cocktail for Grease Monkey Jive consisted of:
1 ounce Cognac, 4 ounces chilled champagne, 3 drops bitters and a sugar cube. Place sugar cube in champagne flute, drop bitters onto cube, pour in cognac and top with champagne.
For the other launch book cocktails please visit Escape Publishing face book page and scroll down to the November 15th post for pictures and recipes.
I’d love to see my local barman’s version of Grease Monkey Jive! I swear he’s got all the moves to go with it too!
And it sounds delish!
Beneath Outback Skies
Book/buy link: http://www.randomhouse.com.au/books/alissa-callen/beneath-outback-skies-9780857980397.aspx
What Love Sounds Like
Book/buy link: http://www.escapepublishing.com.au/product/9780857990129
Face book page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alissa-Callen-Author/355366704552838